About Raj Juneja M.D.
Welcome to my website! My life work is helping people achieve their full human potential. Life should be rewarding on every level, including physically, socially, psychologically and spiritually. Believing that informed self-awareness is the true path to a healthy and satisfying life, my focus is supporting patients in their journey to understanding the many factors that make them who they are.
Although I help people with all manner of psychiatric challenges, I specialize in treating addiction. Addiction is among life’s most difficult challenges and it is not something anyone willingly chooses. It’s never too late to seek help, however: Addiction is highly treatable. If you or someone you care about is suffering, I am here to provide treatment and support along the path to recovery.
My years of medical and specialty training gave me the scientific and interpersonal framework to help people to transcend depression, anxiety, relationship problems and addiction — but I also strongly believe in Eastern approaches and natural medicine. Therefore I have developed a unique approach to treating addiction, mental illness and relationship issues that combines the best of modern medicine with the appropriate use of medication, and complementary and alternative treatments.
My Unique Approach & Methodology
My treatment approach is unique and personalized to fit the needs of each patient.
My many years of medical training, with additional time specializing in psychiatry and addiction medicine, have given me the sound scientific and interpersonal framework for helping people to transcend their addictive behaviors. As a strong believer in Eastern approaches and natural medicine, I sought additional training in those approaches. I spent an additional two years doing a fellowship at the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine with one of the foremost integrative medicine physicians, Dr. Andrew Weil.
The term “integrative medicine” is widely used but I have found that few really understand what it is and why it’s so important. Where mainstream medicine relies (exclusively) on evidence-based science and focuses on treating symptoms, integrative physicians also utilize many other disciplines (also science-based and heavily researched) to treat the whole person. Our tools include nutrition, exercise and lifestyle change; plants and herbs; vitamins and supplements; and spirituality to help each patient become as healthy as possible.
The principles of integrative medicine, as taught by Dr. Weil and other specialists, are:
- A healing partnership between patient and practitioner. No one can help someone who isn’t ready to be helped; you and I will work together to help you achieve the goal of a healthy and fulfilling life.
- Use of conventional and alternative methods to facilitate the body’s innate healing response. As a medical doctor, I use medications that are safe and proven effective at getting biology on your side so that you can begin to get well. Depending on your needs, I will also prescribe vitamins, nutrition and alternative therapies, including acupuncture and massage, customized to your needs and preferences.
- Consideration of all factors that influence health, wellness and disease, including mind, spirit and community as well as body. In addition to treating the physiological issues that underlie problems (whether addiction or mental illness) it’s also vital to track down root causes. We’ll spend time exploring how your past has influenced your life and discussing new and healthier behaviors.
- A philosophy that neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically. Since every person is different, the treatment strategy must be uniquely suited to each individual’s needs, beliefs and motivations. We use the tools that what we believe will work, evaluate them and measure progress to make decisions based on safety and efficacy for you.
- Recognition that good medicine should be based in good science, be inquiry driven, and be open to new paradigms. In combination with evidence-based medicine, I’m always open to using new ideas and ancient and traditional healing therapies to enhance the likelihood that every patient or couple will overcome their challenges and life a joyful, productive and satisfying life.
- Use of natural, effective, less-invasive interventions whenever possible. The first premise of medicine is to do no harm; integrative medicine takes this principle a step further by emphasizing natural treatments that encourage you to heal yourself, body/mind/soul.
- Use of the broader concepts of promotion of health and the prevention of illness as well as the treatment of disease. An important aspect of treatment is education in caring for yourself so you can get and stay healthy, which includes psychological self– awareness, an understanding of how your “story” affects you and a willingness to learn how to transcend it.
- Training of practitioners to be models of health and healing, committed to the process of self-exploration and self-development. I and everyone who works with and for me is engaged in continuing evolution as a human being.
Rajiv Juneja, M.D., M.S., is board-certified in both adult psychiatry and addiction medicine.
Prior to attending St. George’s University School of Medicine, Dr. Raj underwent graduate training in neurosciences at Northwestern University. Dr. Raj has also completed a fellowship at the University of Arizona, studying integrative and alternative medicine under Dr. Andrew Weil.
Dr. Raj is the current chairman of the committee on public education for the American Psychiatry Association’s New Jersey chapter.
Dr. Raj practices adult psychiatry, addiction psychiatry, and integrative psychiatry, and is currently an individual and family therapist in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Dr. Raj is the author of You Are More Than That: A Guide to Embracing the Spiritual Being Within and Becoming Fully Human, published by Hay House, Inc. (2013)
Host of the popular “Head Up with Dr. Raj” radio show house (Hay House Radio), Dr. Raj has developed a following of listeners who tune in regularly to hear his insights on how to live a healthy, happy and more